The Bachman passive park/open space land was an integral part of the Bachman family ranching operations.
For over 80 years the Bachman family owned the land in the South Area of Golden that at one time included the Heritage Dells and Tripp Ranch neighborhoods, the former Heritage Square/Magic Mountain site, Martin Materials quarry land as well as the Golden Terrace West mobile home park and East to the 6 & 40 Business Center. They raised 100 head of Hereford cattle and owned two registered cattle brands. Milk was sold in Denver from 20 milk cows. They also raised chickens and horses.
In 1937, the family first moved into the old rock house built with rock quarried from the hog back in early 1860's. Prior to the Bachman's ownership, the 720 acres of aired range land was known as the Apex Ranch. The old rock house is associated with the early town of Apex that was located in what is now the lower and upper parking lots of the Apex Trail head.
In 1865, the first U.S. Survey party drew a handmade map of the area that shows the former Bachman parcels with a trail going around the Hog Back (now part of West Colfax/U.S 40) and a trail going North and South (now Heritage Road).
Content contributed by Preston Driggers
Copyright © 2019 Stewards of Golden Open Space - All Rights Reserved.